Kedarkantha - Best Winter Trek In India
Although trekking is generally considered a summer activity, the number of people exploring the world of winter trekking snow biking continues to grow, as some people prefer to call it. When you think of winter travel, the Kedarkantha trek has emerged as an obvious favorite among adventure fans. There are many reasons for this, and the opening sentence of the article only gives a glimpse of what they are But first, some information about this beautiful part of the Himalayas:
- Kedarkantha is located in the Govind Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttarkashi district in the western Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
- Kedarkantha is located at 3,810 meters (about 12,500 feet). This hiking trail covers a combined distance of 20 kilometers.
- Winter is the best time to visit Kedarkantha. November to April, January and February are the most visited months.
- The nearest railway station is Dehradun. It is well connected to almost all the important stations. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport, located about 22 km away from Dehradun.
The Kedarkantha Trek
The Kedarkantha track starts from Sankri, a beautiful small village located at the foot of 6,400 feet (1,950 m). The first campsite is when the trekkers reach Jadu Ka Lake, situated at an altitude of about 9,100 feet (2,774 m) and is about 5 hours from Sankri. This original stretch provides you with a sample of the beauty that awaits the trekkers upfront. Jadu Ka Talab is the first campsite in this conclusion; Here, you can spend the evening and rest the next day.
Then track to your Kedarkantha base, 11,250 feet above and a distance of 4.5 km. In this expansive space, you are exposed to the beautiful 360 degrees view of the snow-covered peaks around you for the first time. The Kedarkantha Foundation's campsite is a fantastic campsite that offers any track in India and is the ideal place to set up your tent, make some Maggie and get a good night's sleep.
The following and final destination will be the Kedarkantha Summit, located at an altitude of 12,500 feet. This is the only slightly challenging part of the stretch track, but it can be done easily if you are moderately fit. Also, the views you experience on the way to the summit are exceptional in terms of beauty and majesty. The Himalayas present themselves here in all their glory, and the trekkers find this experience the most fruitful.
After reaching the top, it is a journey back to a floor where the first stop will be Horegaon Camp. It offers another alluring campsite and will serve as your night stop. The next day you will trek directly through the dense pine forest to Sankri, which you will enjoy after starting this trek.
Why is the Kedarkantha Trek Special?
- First and foremost, it is a moderately easy trek, which is still very beautiful. It provides a great return on investment for both trekkers, especially newcomers (in terms of effort and ability).
- There are 13 peaks; That's what you experience this trek. This is a wonder-inspiring number, especially when they are all covered in snow and the spectacular views of sunlight reflect from them. Swargarohini, Black Peak and Bandar Punch are some of them.
- Sankri is easily accessible as it is not too far from Dehradun; Dehradun is well connected by road, air and rail. Also, the Sankri ride from Dehradun itself is an exciting adventure, which can keep you stuck in a window seat all the way.
- The most notable and unique feature of the Kedarkantha track is the number of vast and open meadows; This provides the trek, which is relatively unusual and not found in most other adventures. This is why the campsites on this track are among the most heavenly places. Jadu Ka Talab, Kedarkantha Base, Hargaon and other camps are located in the grassland between the peaks of snow and sunlight.
- You will find charming small villages where people are friendly all along the way. You can get fantastic insights into the local Garhwal folklore and the lifestyle of the people occupying the Himalayas.
Kedarkantha Trek Trip
There are some items to be kept in mind if one decides to go for this beautiful trek (cough cough, you totally should). The Kedarkantha Trek requires six days to and from Dehradun, but you can always customize the itinerary according to your preferences.
While the trek isn't incredibly challenging or demanding, a decent amount of physical fitness is a plus point. The elevation does get a little high once you get to the peak, so prepare accordingly. Carrying an excellent quantity of water is always a safe bet and a great trekking habit.
Don't expect a mobile network at Sankri, but with the mesmerizing views and natural beauty all around you, all you will have to have in your phone to function is that excellent camera to click dozens of images for your Instagram feed and Snapchat stories!